Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Oh hai again my again forgotten again gaming blog

Look, it's been a bad couple years. It's hard to get a lot of gaming done sometimes... let alone write about it. Only despite that I've got a long post.

Okay, what can I talk about.... City of Heroes? Subscription time is up and has been for months and months. We made a bunch of new characters when we went back and managed to concentrate on only a few but my inability to sit up for long stretches of time kinda killed regular gaming for me. It's a pity as I was enjoying it and all, and we stopped playing right before they introduced a cool new customization feature, and we might go back when the expansion comes out, though I still wish some of the special content was accessible to small groups... anyhow. Not playing that.

I now have better meds (sorta... kinda) but rather than resubscribe to CoX we decided to go back to Guild Wars, which is all nice and free and therefore accomodating of my inability to know if I'm going to play regularly. We also threw some holiday money at Free Realms (and were awarded some additional in a promotion) just in time for them to completely and, frankly, badly revamp their combat system. It could be worse, but it's pretty dumbed down. And then they revamped the economy, again. And again. And, IMO, not for the better. Due to the aforementioned promotion we have enough to keep subscribed for months, though, even with getting new pets, though we haven't done any real play-playing since we went back to Guild Wars... but if we need a break from GW, FR's not a bad one.

We're trying to concentrate on one set of characters in GW, too... er. Sorta. Except for when we want something specific, like to do special daily quests or take advantage of special weekend quests, mostly, really. We're working our way through the second campaign with them (with side trips to do other bits, like we've mostly done the regular quest line in the expansion, though almost none of the extras) and working on titles... and we'd like to get as much done on this set of characters as possible before GW2's beta and/or release, depending on if we get in the beta.

I really, really want to get in that beta. I like Guild Wars a fair amount and it sounds like they're at least trying to correct the flaws with it and revamp it to both better suit the existing GW populace and to avoid some of the problems with why they don't always make people happy now (mainly having to do with power balance issues), plus make a wider game environment (with more races to play for one thing). And from what they've released it really does sound like it will be very interesting... although I'm a little leary of the fact that they're dropping the one mechanic that makes it possible to easily play in a duo (that being customizable companions in sufficient quantity to round out a "full" party size), but they've said they want to keep the game soloable. We'll see.

The beta will probably be no earlier than late summer, and I'm on their mailing list and paying attention to the official site(s) and stuff hoping to catch a slot in it, but I have no clue what their criteria will be... I'm presuming they'll give existing customers first shot at it, though. We'll hope I'm not taking a break when they do, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment